Frames per chunck

Post your messages that do not fit in the other rooms here.

Frames per chunck

Postby alexiskoch » 07 Feb 2017, 12:57

Greetings,

We are still very pleased with RenderPal, however I do have a question that has been running on my mind for some time :
Are there any advantages to set more than one frame per chunck in a job, instead of 5 or 10? In fact, what is the point of having chunks?

Thanks in advance!
Alexis.
alexiskoch

Re: Frames per chunck

Postby Shoran Support » 07 Feb 2017, 13:30

A chunk represents a kind of unit that will be rendered; for each chunk, the renderer has to be launched, files have to be loaded etc. So having larger chunks -- and thus less chunks per job -- results in less renderer launches, and the total loading time will be smaller. And without chunks, how could a single job be rendered on multiple machines?
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby alexiskoch » 07 Feb 2017, 14:59

Oh thanks! That makes sense.
alexiskoch

Postby michaelcawood » 19 May 2018, 17:07

Is there a way to have RenderPal automatically optimize the chunks or change them during the job? Example... I have two machines and one typically does five chunks in the time it takes the other to do one chunk. So it makes sense to break the scene up into six chunks. But I also use one of those machines as my working day time machine, so I need to be able to pause it's contribution to the farm. At this point smaller chunks are better so you can stop it and restart it without losing so much render time. It would be great if a) it could have a 'recommended' chunk size by default, based on previous render history. And b) the ability to continue a chunk after a pause (rather than restart) and/or subdivide the chunks into smaller chunks during a job to provide more flexibility.
michaelcawood

Postby Shoran Support » 19 May 2018, 19:29

No, that's not possible.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Return to General discussions