Executable search paths

Post your messages that do not fit in the other rooms here.

Executable search paths

Postby kurzemnieks » 16 Oct 2015, 09:45

Hello.
I wanted to get more information on Executable Search Paths in Server Config syntax.
Can I write only exact absolute paths there, or are there any templates/wildcards available. I.e. I would like to define path to a place on users desktop in windows, without knowing the username - like for example "C:\Users\<User>\Desktop\Tool\tool.exe"
Is something like this possible? There is no explanation in docs about this feature.

Thanks
kurzemnieks

Re: Executable search paths

Postby Shoran Support » 16 Oct 2015, 12:53

You can use wildcards for this. So your path would look something like C:\Users\*\Desktop\Tool.exe. You can also use environment variables.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby kurzemnieks » 16 Oct 2015, 12:54

Thank you!
kurzemnieks

Postby Shoran Support » 16 Oct 2015, 12:56

This is also explained on page 26/27 of our manual.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby kurzemnieks » 16 Oct 2015, 18:38

Thanks - I missed the page in manual somehow.
Anyway - I cant get this to work. I tried adding search paths in server - using env vars (like in examples) and even using absolute paths which work 100% but clients just ignore this and do not render anything unless I specify paths to software on each client manually.
How does this work? Hos and when are clients searching for the software? I did refresh renderers, relaunch clients but nothing happened. All other render settings get updated correctly.

Thanks
kurzemnieks

Postby Shoran Support » 17 Oct 2015, 14:09

Please post some screenshots of what you did. We also need to know how your clients are started, which OS you are using, whether you configured default paths or similar and so on.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby kurzemnieks » 19 Oct 2015, 10:02

We are using Windows 8.1 on all clients, and Windows Server 2012 on Server.
I have attached screenshot from server renderer config - with couple renderer search paths that are correct.

I tried start clients manually - also manually updating renderers from server but nothing changes.
For now we are running trial version - testing things out before buying. Maybe this feature is turned off for trial ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kurzemnieks

Postby Shoran Support » 19 Oct 2015, 13:16

It's not turned off in the trial, and we just verified that the feature is working properly (with your settings). Have you checked in the client renderer settings that no executable has been configured? The auto-search feature will not kick in if you have configured an executable somewhere. And does the client actually have access to the executable to be found? For example, if you run the client as a service, this might not be the case. And if the Blender path is C:\Blender for all your clients, you could simply configure all clients in one go to use that path using Remote client configuration.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Return to General discussions