Urgent jobs

Post your messages that do not fit in the other rooms here.

Urgent jobs

Postby iCreateLtd » 14 Jul 2016, 10:44

Hi,

I have a job running that's set to urgent. If I have another job set to urgent and want clients to start rendering that job when they finish a chunk of the other one, how can I do that.

The manual says this:

Urgent net job changes
When setting a net job to urgent, any clients that are not already rendering an urgent job will immediately drop their
current job in favour of the new urgent job.

Does that mean that if I set the current job that's being rendered to a lower priority, clients will stop rendering their current chunk and move on to the other job? If so, that doesn't really make sense because when that job is finished, I assume it'll have to restart the chunk it dropped and re-render frames

If I have both set to urgent...... the current job is ID 72, the one I want to be rendered first is 73. Can I set the running order of the jobs. So, the one I want to be rendered is something like 70..... That way it'll be picked up when chunks of the other one completes.

Thanks
iCreateLtd

Re: Urgent jobs

Postby Shoran Support » 14 Jul 2016, 11:18

Urgent jobs will always get priority over all other jobs; RenderPal will assign all clients to the first urgent job (based on its ID) first, then the remaining ones to the second and so on; you cannot influence this order. If there is a new urgent job, clients rendering non-urgent jobs will drop their current jobs and work on the urgent one.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby iCreateLtd » 14 Jul 2016, 11:31

If there is a new urgent job, clients rendering non-urgent jobs will drop their current jobs and work on the urgent one.

Does this happen after they've finished their current chunk or do they drop their chunk to move onto the urgent job? If they drop the current chunk, is there a way to either stop this or continue from where they dropped the chunk.
iCreateLtd

Postby Shoran Support » 14 Jul 2016, 11:51

They will drop their jobs immediately; this is currently not optional (but an option for this is planned).
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby iCreateLtd » 14 Jul 2016, 12:14

Ok, thanks.... That'd be good.

What I'll do is keep an eye on the chunks being rendered and when one starts a new chunk I'll remove it from the job.
iCreateLtd

Postby Shoran Support » 14 Jul 2016, 12:26

You might also want to take a look at the various pool dispatch modes, especially the "Priority grouped parallel" one. This will treat all jobs of the same priority as one group, and so you might be able to achieve the desired behavior by intelligently assigning priorities to your jobs while using that dispatch mode.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Return to General discussions