Command line length limit for RpRcCmd

If you are seeking for help, this is the right place to ask!

Command line length limit for RpRcCmd

Postby Jorge Adorni » 18 Mar 2012, 21:39

Hi guys.

Im facing the following problem:
The list of my scenes when calling RpRcCmd exceeds the limit (i think its 8k characters),
I thought that using the option -importset that pointed to a file containing the list of scenes (similar to the .rset file generated in the Render Set tab/ Export set) would solve this,
but it seems that the -importset option gets other kind of info from the .rset file and ignore the listed scenes.
Do you think its possible to make RpRcCmd to accept a file that contains the list of scenes instead of naming all of them in the cmd line, for cases like this?

Please let me know if there is another way around.

Thank you.
Jorge Adorni

Re: Command line length limit for RpRcCmd

Postby Shoran Support » 18 Mar 2012, 21:56

Scenes do not get imported from the render set. One easy solution is to use wildcards, like:
RpRcCmd ... X:\Path\*.ma Y:\AnotherPath\*.mb

The RC will then search for all files matching the patterns and add everything it finds.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby Jorge Adorni » 18 Mar 2012, 23:00

Hi Tak.

I saw the wildcards in the manual, but most of the time this will end up rendering more frames than I really intend to, its not uncommon for us to have
a folder with more renderman rib files than the currently needed ones.
For example, a sequence that was previously 100 frames now got shortened and its 70 frames, I don go to the folder and
delete those old extra 30 frames.
We really need control over that aspect, please let me know if there is a workaround.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.
Jorge Adorni

Postby Shoran Support » 18 Mar 2012, 23:20

Not in the current release version, but the upcoming version will make this pretty easy. If you want, you can contact us directly to get access to the current beta version :mrgreen:
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby Jorge Adorni » 18 Mar 2012, 23:35

Then I will be glad to try the beta :D

Thanks again
Jorge Adorni

Postby rvagner » 24 Mar 2017, 12:52

Hello,

I am sorry for "resurrecting" a thread so old, but I have encountered the exact same problem as Jorge, and even though I am guessing that the beta back then has already been released, I still have not found any workaround for this issue.
So I would like to know what was the feature mentioned that would make this pretty easy to do ?

I apologize if I should have made a new post for this and/or if my english is a bit broken.

Thanks in advance.
rvagner

Postby Shoran Support » 24 Mar 2017, 13:45

Take a look at section 27.2.1 of our manual; the mentioned feature is explained there.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby rvagner » 24 Mar 2017, 15:05

Thank you for answering so quickly.

Sadly, I am in a situation where using wildcards and auto frame-numbering is not an option, since my users want to launch jobs using a very large list of specific scenes.
Due to the naming convention they use, their scenes are not numbered, so I cannot make use of the auto frame-numbering feature, and the user might not always want to use every scene in a folder, so wildcards are not precise enough.
I thought about storing the command's parameters (including said list) in a text file and "redirecting" it to RpRcCmd.exe via pipes/less-than signs, but it didn't work.
Is there any way to make RpRcCmd.exe read its parameters directly from a file, or to "update" an already created job by adding chunks to it ?

Thanks again for your help.
rvagner

Return to Support