RenderPal Client on Win X

If you are seeking for help, this is the right place to ask!

RenderPal Client on Win X

Postby 2flower » 19 Aug 2015, 20:36

Hi, is windows 10 officially supported? I have a testmachine set up with windows 10 and RenderPal. I can't get anything rendered because the client refuses to find the scene path.
I have disabled UAC, I'm running the client as admin in win 7 compatibility mode, nothing seems to help. The network drives are accessible of course. Any experience with win x anyone?
Edit: I can batchrender (XSI) on that machine from the commandline.
2flower

Re: RenderPal Client on Win X

Postby Shoran Support » 19 Aug 2015, 20:58

RenderPal won't access the scene file in any way (unless you have turned on local scene file copy), so the client can't "refuse to find the scene path" - it's the renderer which does so. Since we already have users running RenderPal under Windows 10, this is most likely a permissions/configuration problem. It might also help if you could describe your environment more; client configuration, net job and render set settings etc.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby 2flower » 20 Aug 2015, 18:43

As a matter of fact it is the client causing problems. The scene renders fine when I use the commandline generated by RenderPal.
The client however does not show any of my networkdrives in any of the clients own filerequesters (executable path, directory to save the crash report etc.)
I will reinstall the client and see if something changes.

Edit: reinstall doesn't change anything. I noticed that automatic scanning for network shares when configuring autostart returns 0 results (they are there of course)
The client refuses to see my mapped networkdrives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2flower

Postby Shoran Support » 21 Aug 2015, 12:55

After googling a bit, we came across the following:
http://www.winability.com/how-to-make-elevated-programs-recognize-network-drives/

Could you try the registry fix described in the article?
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby 2flower » 21 Aug 2015, 17:04

Thanks for this hint. However it turns out that running the client as a service with manually assigned net shares the scene renders. It seems only to be an issue with the UI-version.
I had it running normally (not as admin) in the first place but had the same issue. I don't think it comes from running it as admin.
Anyway I'm OK with running the client as service even though it isn't my preferred method. I think I'll let win X mature a bit before wasting time investigating an issue that might not be one.
Thanks anyway.
2flower

Postby Shoran Support » 21 Aug 2015, 21:43

Even if you run the client as a service, it is nevertheless the same as the UI version. The problem stems from the fact that RenderPal runs as an elevated process, which causes these problems (and according to MS, this is "intended"). When run as a service, different mechanisms apply under Windows.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby 2flower » 22 Aug 2015, 12:48

tak wrote:Even if you run the client as a service, it is nevertheless the same as the UI version. The problem stems from the fact that RenderPal runs as an elevated process, which causes these problems (and according to MS, this is "intended"). When run as a service, different mechanisms apply under Windows.

I do understand that. When I say "issue of the UI version" I don't necessarily mean the UI version is the cause. What I mean is in fact " issues when running the client as UI-version" ;)
2flower

Return to Support