random server crash

If you are seeking for help, this is the right place to ask!

random server crash

Postby alexiskoch » 20 Feb 2017, 10:02

Greetings,

Recently we started to witness random crashes from the RenderPal server. it would just quit without warning nor information, and the clients notice only a connection timeout.
We are using it on Windows 7 computers, with a Vray standalone render. Everything is up to date.

In several months of using it, we never had any problem with it, these crashes happened like two weeks ago. Any guesses?
alexiskoch

Re: random server crash

Postby Shoran Support » 20 Feb 2017, 14:43

Take a look at the server's error.log file, located in the main server directory. Also, please post the version you are using, and if anything has changed before the crashes began.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby alexiskoch » 20 Feb 2017, 15:35

Thanks for your answer.

Well there is indeed an error.log, but it's empty, and the funny thing is it claims to have been created today and modified in 2003, lol. It weights 0kb, also.
Actual install version is 2.14.1. Our RenderPal was outdated when the crashes began to happen, so we updated it in the hope of fixing it, with no success.
We updated Vray to 3.40.06 in this period, but it is difficult to tell if the crashes happened just after because we don't use vray all the time.

Our workflow is too create animations in Maya using the Vray plugin then export it in a .vrscene and render it on 6 slaves with RenderPal. This method has been really efficient until recently.
We asked our guy managing the network at our company, it hasn't noticed anything odd server-side.

I am afraid this does not help you much on what the frack is going on, too bad that error log failed to write itself :/
alexiskoch

Postby Shoran Support » 20 Feb 2017, 15:43

If the error isn't logged, it simply means that it doesn't occur directly in the RenderPal code but usually within a Windows function. I'd first try a clean installation of the RenderPal V2 Server.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby alexiskoch » 20 Feb 2017, 16:09

Oh, now that I think about it, there is one thing I can add.

We have 6 slaves. We used to have RenderPal on Slave1, and we also use Maxwell render and so the Maxwell manager is installed on Slave6 (we prefer using their manager instead of using RenderPal for our renders with it. Sorry!).
So the other thing we changed recently, is that we put both RenderPal server and Maxwell Manager on Slave6. Could it be a source of error?
alexiskoch

Postby Shoran Support » 21 Feb 2017, 23:42

Hard to say, but could well be; we've seen stranger things.
Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Postby alexiskoch » 18 May 2017, 15:20

Hello, I have an update on this problem, as we had another crash.

In the hope of fixing these crashes, I kept Maxwell manager on Slave6, and did a clean install of RenderPal on Slave5.
We still render .vrscenes generated from maya. The slaves have been working all the weekend without any problem, but today the RenderPal server crashed once again.
The error.log is still empty.

All slaves are on Windows 7 up to date, RenderPal version is 2.14.2, VRay 3.5.

So, back to the start I'm afraid. I don't know what I could try now. Have you already received similar reports?
Also, since RenderPal server has always perfectly resumed the current job even after a crash, is there a way to tell it to automatically relaunch itself? We want it always opened anyway.
alexiskoch

Postby alexiskoch » 28 Jun 2017, 09:29

Another update.

Since we were not able to identify the source of the problem, I bypassed it by installing a program called "Restart on crash", that automatically relaunch the RenderPal server.
So far it works wonder, the crashes still appear, but the renders are resumed a minute later.

I wrote this so that another chap having the same problem can find a quick fix to it.
alexiskoch

Return to Support