Need help getting started /purchasing questions

If you are seeking for help, this is the right place to ask!
insertmesh

Need help getting started /purchasing questions

Post by insertmesh » 12 Dec 2019, 13:40

Hey there,

end of the year is near with a week to try out new tools and improve workflows, so I´m tasked with looking at a replacement of our current refamo/backburner farm management combination and now I wanna give RenderPal a shot, as support for refamo seems to be dead and it would be nice to have a couple more options.

I downloaded and installed the trial, but the number of options in the manual are quite daunting though for someone that has only dealt with backburners very limited capabilities, so I´m hoping you can give me a headstart here...

1. I´ve installed the server on my main workstation and one client on one rendernode in our small farm.
2. I´ve successfully added the client to the server.
3. I´ve not been able to get the submission script from within 3ds max to work.
I tried following the instructions, but I get an error saying submitter is not being found and I should make sure to at least have it run once.
So I ran the standalone submitter once, but same error message.
I put the submission script in this folder:
C:Program Files/Autodesk/3ds Max 2019/userscripts.

I managed to manually submit a job, after figuring out, that I needed to point the rendernodes client to the 3dsmaxcmd.exe file, so thats working now.
But of course the idea would be to be able to just submit from within the scene, with all settings applied automatically.

Since I can´t get the submission script to work, I wanna at least know what the workflow would be like...

1. Do I need to enter every setting manually, or can it just apply from the scene file (framerange, elements, vraframebuffer settings, camera, outputsize etc)?
Can I actually render using the Vrayframebuffer this way, or do I need to use the standard output paths? I prefer the vrayframebuffer, as it stes paths and fodlers for the renderelements automatically.
2. Can I use the preview options? I specified a folder in the renderjob, but there is a message saying this is not supported by the renderer...

Other questions I have:

A) Something else that was actually really handy with refamo was the integrated remote desktop.
Is there something similar for RenderPal? Or can I somehow integrate windows remote desktop myself?
B) For deadline there is a sanity check script. Something like this would be incredibly helpful, as I have had countless issues when on tight deadlines, submitting jobs without proper output paths, no camera selected, Vray render region selected etc.
I neither have the skills nor the time to script something like this myself....

insertmesh

Re: Need help getting started /purchasing questions

Post by insertmesh » 13 Dec 2019, 13:51

Ok, looks like I´m all set getting started.
Restarting the workstation seems to have fixed the issue with the submission script and its completely working now.
I haven´t figured out the preview image option yet, not sure if thats not supported by Vray or if I haven´t set it up properly yet.
And I´d still like to know about the sanity script and the remote desktop options.
I´ve seen that tehre is an option to launch VNC, but since that would be another paid subscription and we already use anydesk for remote management, I´d have to look into that, if thats an alternative that would be in the same price range as anydesk.

insertmesh

Post by insertmesh » 13 Dec 2019, 13:58

Ok, I also found a solution for remote desktop. I can just use the free alternative "TightVNC", works like a charm!

Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Post by Shoran Support » 16 Dec 2019, 17:44

Absolutely necessary settings are checked by RenderPal; we will consider adding more options for such sanity checks!

insertmesh

Post by insertmesh » 17 Dec 2019, 11:06

That would be the best solution!
I´ve already tried chaosgroup to integrate such checks, but they said that user needs are too different, so it doesn´t make sense.

For me the following human errors have caused me most grief:

1. No camera selected
2. Wrong resolution (its really dumb, but sometimes I do some last minute tweaking, temporarily setting resolution to something smaller and then forget to reset it for final rendering).
3. no render elements/wrong render elements
4. Vray render region still on
5. No output defined in the Vrayframebuffers "save to separate folders" (this randomly resets when switching workstations)

I´m sure there is a bunch more, ideally you could just build your personal sanity check from all the options.
For our small studio something like this would actually be much more valuable than most other features of RenderPal...:)

i already got a simple script to check for my needs that right now just starts a quick render when no errors occur:

Code: Select all

if error_count > 0 then 
		(
			result = querybox s_result title:s_dialog_title 
			if result then max quick render
		)
		else max quick render
	)
But maybe, until you integrate more options yourself, you could just help me figure out how to either:

A) Start the RenderPal submission script instead of a quickrender at the end of the render check script.
B) Start the redercheck script after launching the RenderPal submission script.

Although this is not really a purchasing question anymore, I figured out everything I need to know otherwise to know that we want to purchase...:)

Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Post by Shoran Support » 17 Dec 2019, 15:49

These are both questions about 3dsMax scripting, so we can't really help here. For 1), you need to modify your script accordingly, for 2), you need to update our submission script.

insertmesh

Post by insertmesh » 18 Dec 2019, 16:22

Ok, I get it.

Unfortunately I´m stuck again getting the farm to work. I had it working yesterday...or so I thought.
Now I´can´t get any rendernode to render.
I constanty get "error opening scne file" errors.
The file is saved on a network mapped drive, which all rendernodes have access to.

insertmesh

Post by insertmesh » 18 Dec 2019, 16:56

Here is the log file.

Maybe I messed something up while trying to get the render check script working, seems like there is a syntax error in the commandline somewhere.
Rendering via backburner works, so it shouldn´t be a network issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shoran Support
RenderPal Team

Post by Shoran Support » 18 Dec 2019, 17:15

The command-line looks fine (though there might be some "invisible" characters causing the error), so the syntax error must occur somewhere else.

insertmesh

Post by insertmesh » 19 Dec 2019, 11:38

Hm, that doesn´t help me much...
Maybe this line is the problem:

"-workPath:"C:/Users/WS01/Documents/3ds Max 2020"

As it refers to my local workstation (WS01) and that directory of course is not present in the rendernode...
Unfortunately I just uninstalled before noticing, so I will check back later again, after getting it up and running again.